Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mike Tomlin

Let me just say that I'm not very excited over the choice to replace Bill Cowher. I'm not a fan of the Cover-2 scheme and I am a huge fan of Dick LeBeau who also appears not to be a Cover-2 guy. Bringing in a Cover-2 guy in Mike Tomlin will probably mean the end of LeBeau with the Steelers. Obviously I'm not the best football mind in the world but looking at the Steelers roster it doesn't appear they have the best personal for the Cover-2 either.

Let me qualify things first. The only time the Steelers have hired a head coach in my lifetime I wasn't a big fan of the hiring at the time either. That turned out just fine though. Also I'm not a huge fan of the Cover-2 currently, it seems the defensive coordinators over Cover-2 teams (Tampa Bay, Indy, Chicago, Minnesota, KC) get too egotistical and don't change their scheme mid-game when it isn't working. I believe that is more than anything why only one of them have won the big game despite them dominating the regular season stats. I am a fan of the birth of the Cover-2 since Tony Dungy modeled it after the Steel Curtain Steelers of the 70's.

Only time will tell. The Steelers have a lot of talent, 2007 shouldn't be a rebuilding year.

No comments: