Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Floor Mats

I'm not really sure why someone would buy a new car without floor mats. I'm in sales so I understand how you can sell a car without floor mats, high mark up items should never be free, at least not advertised as free. But back to buying a car without floor mats, at least a new car, I just don't get it. You can always, I mean always, convince the salesman to give them to you for free. They are after all a very high mark up item, a $50 item with $5 cost to close a $20,000 sale, please sign me up.

Some of you are probably wondering why they are important. Well in the case of my beautiful Mustang they look really good, they have a Pony on them and everything. But they can really help the resell value of your car. Barring an accident outside wear and tear on your car is expected, it is included in the depreciation value of your car. Inside wear and tear however can be avoided and will drastically lower you resell value and make your car more difficult to sell. Floor mats solve this problem, you wear and tear the mat instead of the carpet in your car. Worn spots, especially in a manual transmission like mine, will just absolutely hurt your car's value.

Now my Mustang was used, we're the second owners. The first owner who bought the car new from Ford didn't buy floor mats. She also drove a $21,000 car less than 2,500 miles, less than a year even, and traded it in for probably $15,500 or so, then bought a $40,000 full sized Toyota pick up. So obviously she wasn't the brightest bulb in the marquee but that is different story, it does explain the inability to know the need for floor mats. If you're going to take a $7,000 loss on a car for owning 6 months, I guess you don't care about floor mats or wear and tear.

Anyways, my Mustang. No floor mats, well Trevor why didn't you get floor mats from the dealership you bought the car from? It was a Toyota dealership, I'd already done research on the Mustang, I knew the options. I knew they made a very good looking floor mat and I wanted those. I convinced the Toyota dealership to give me some free oil changes instead, 6 to 1, half dozen to the other.

Pretty Bird picked up my floor mats today, don't they look great! Well I should have taken a real picture but it is cold and I'm not going back outside. This is the stock Ford picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily for you the exterior of the car matches our car.

lauren said...

Car wouldn't be complete without floor mats. It just don't feel comfortable and clean without it. I have husky bmw floor mats that also compliments my car's interior.