Wednesday, November 30, 2005

We love the movies

A former roommate of mine was in college was a film minor. One of his film classes was about recent movies and he had this book about the most influential filmmakers of the 1970’s. The book only talked about four filmmakers, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucas. It is really hard to look at that list and argue with it. We would then try and discuss come up with our list for the 80’s and 90’s, it was a lot of fun. This conversation actually carried over to my wife and I from time. One thing we did alter was the number from four to five, four just seems like an odd number.

70’s
Francis Ford Coppola
Martin Scorsese
Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Richard Donner – My wife would argue Woody Allen and that is a very valid argument. Woody didn’t make me believe a man could fly and Donner did, so he wins.

80’s
Steven Spielberg
John Hughes
Oliver Stone
Tim Burton
Robert Zemeckis
Honorable Mention to James Cameron and Tony Scott
Richard Donner, John McTiernan, or Martin Brest would get in there, they did influence a lot of movies. I just can’t put them in there because they influenced a lot of awful movies.

90’s
Steven Spielberg
James Cameron
Quentin Tarantino
Andy and Larry Wachowski
John Lassiter
Honorable Mention to David Fincher and Jonathan Demme

2000’s – I know we aren’t done yet but we’re halfway there.
Clint Eastwood
Peter Jackson
Sam Raimi
Chris Columbus
Ridley Scott
Might make my list with more work, Brad Bird, Christopher Nolan, or Bryan Singer

Yes my wife and I are dorks and watch too many movies.

Two Days till I leave for Pittsburgh
Four Days till I’m at the game
14 days till I’m in Vegas.
What a month!

1 comment:

theprettybird said...

My only argument is that you have honorable mentions for the other three decade, but nothing for the 70's. Of the honorable mentions that you should have included Woody Allen, John Landis, Ridley Scott (Alien, hello.), the Kubrick, Mel Brooks.

In the 80's you should have mentioned Ivan Reitman, Don Bluth (he changed how human characters were drawn. Without him, Ariel and other recent Disney princesses would not have looked as hot.), Cameron Crowe.

In the 90's Kevin Smith, Mel Gibson (before Braveheart no one would have sat through a three hour epic).