Monday, October 9, 2006

Top Movies 1-10

Trevor’s Top Movies 1-10

Well this is it, my top 10 movies. There isn’t much to write about these movies, if you’re reading my blog you’ve seen at least 9 of them. By glancing at 11-100 on Friday Pretty Bird was able to pick all 10 of these, very close to the correct order.

10. Return of the Jedi (1983, Richard Marquand) – This is the one that was my favorite when I was young. It was the one where Luke becomes a Jedi and defeats Vader plus the good guys win. The space battle still stands up today versus some of the more advanced special effects spectacles that have been made. The Jabba’s Palace/skiff sequence where it is Luke against a ton of non-Jedi, how good is that. You get a see a Jedi take out a bunch of people with very little effort. Obviously this movie doesn’t quite stand the test of time compared to the other two, it isn’t near as good a movie. This is also the one that I dislike the special edition changes the most, the additions only subtract from the movie.

9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969, George Roy Hill) – A western with very little shooting, how much fun can that be? Other than the rather boring bicycle scene I can watch this movie over and over again. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are just brilliant. And to think I really don’t like westerns.

8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989, Steven Spielberg) – About 10 of us went to see this movie opening night and we got the most horrible seats possible but did we have a great time. This was one of the most laugh out loud movies I can remember at a theater, the crowd was just rolling in laughter and this really isn’t a comedy.

7. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001, Peter Jackson) – Even if I didn’t love this movie this would be in the top 10. This movie as much as even Star Wars is directly responsible for what I do for a living. I liked the movie and picked up the game and actually enjoyed it more than previous TCGs and got involved and well you know the rest. Back to the movie, I like beginnings more than endings and I like this novel much more than the others, that is why it is here. I really think Two Towers is a crappy story compared to the other two which is why it isn’t even on the list.

6. Toy Story (1995, John Lasseter) – This movie helped me really get to know Pretty Bird. I love animated movies and Disney in general, this movie helped me know that same information about her. It is a laugh riot, still looks better in some ways that a lot of the CGI movies released today, and introduced the world at large to Pixar which changed movies as much anything else.

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Steven Spielberg) – One of the only movies I love that my parents also really enjoy. A lot of my ‘dorky’ life is devoid of approval or interest from my parents except for this one. I don’t need my parent’s approval in my life but it does make it easier when you share some interests. This is such a great movie, so much fun. Just please don’t call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, that makes me sad. Let me waste a little bit more time and talk about changing movies. I work in a creative, intelligential based industry. I think a creator should be allowed to do whatever they want with their work, I really do. The fanboy side of me though really doesn’t like it when you change the Star Wars Trilogy, E.T., or the name of Raiders. They have every right to do it without explanation, I just don’t have to enjoy it.

4. The Matrix (1999, The Wachowski Brothers) – The subpar sequels to this incredible science fiction story do nothing to tarnish how much I love this movie. Actually I think the sequels suffer because of how good this movie actually is, I mean it is so good. I think it is basically about as perfect a science fiction movie can be. Plus it took everyone by surprise, the ads didn’t do it justice at all plus it had Keanu Reeves in it, how good can it be. This movie also didn’t help Phantom Menace score any points. Just remember, there is no spoon.

3. Aliens (1986, James Cameron) – One of the only sequels that in my opinion is clearly better than the original. Ridley Scott’s horror, suspense movie original is very good but man is this movie great. A Vietnam War movie set in space against aliens, so much fun. I love just about everything about this movie. With this movie at #3 I guess it isn’t hard to figure out the top two.

2. The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner) – Probably the best of all six Star Wars movies, the only one directed by a real director. This is the first movie I can remember seeing in a movie theater, I’m sure it was pretty intense for a four year old. Hell using intense for a 30 year old who’s seen it over 100 times wouldn’t be too much a stretch either. Despite it being the best, I do love originals more so that leads us to our next choice.

1. Star Wars (1977, George Lucas) – When you started reading this list did you really think anything else was going to be #1? So much of what I have become, what I do, what I enjoy comes from Star Wars. I went through times in my life where I was in denial about that or I tried to think how lame that sounds. I’ve come to realize it might not be the most noble thing in the world but it isn’t lame, no one gets onto Bob Costas for watching Mickey Mantle and wanting to announce baseball games. I watched Star Wars and wanted to do dorky stuff and here I am today, doing dorky stuff for a living.

I hope you enjoyed the list and the brief write ups. I do recommend any movie on the list plus the additional 50 or so movies that I so wanted to put on my top 100.

2 comments:

TheGirard said...

That was a good list.

Anonymous said...

Well Done!

You make me proud to be a dork too.