Thursday, October 12, 2006

Like him or hate him

Well frankly who does like him. Either way if you're bashing President Bush please bash him for the correct reasons. For the record, I'm typically a more conservative person politically but I didn't vote for him in 2004 and I will try and vote out most of his supporters in '06 and '08. That isn't my point though, my point is this. The President does enough things incorrectly that actually have to do with his job, bash him and get mad at him for those things. If you're going to waste time bellowing about how horrible he is, and he has been downright awful, actually use things that are done incorrectly.

Things not to bash the man over.
  • Inability to pronounce the word "nuclear". Seriously, is that really that big a deal.
  • Belief in God. I'm not sure where this comes from, 95% of the rest of world's population does, he should be different why?
  • Being in Texas instead of Washington during Katrina. Really the President, even this one, doesn't really take vacations. If I can work effectively from Germany or Los Angeles with just a laptop and cellphone with the travling circus that goes with the President he can work fine from Texas.
  • Cory Lidle flying a plane into a building. Yeah I don't get this one either. I've seen at least four articles or snipits about comparing to 9/11, valid, and then bashing Bush somehow. Can we at least agree that terrorists flew airplanes into building five years, one month, and one day ago?
  • Mark Foley.
Using any of the above things when trying to convince a conservative or someone on the fence that Bush is not good isn't going to help you. All it is going to do is show the person you're trying to convince that you're an idiot.

There are plenty of things you can get mad at him for, he has been a horrible President. I'm not going to list them all, frankly I don't have enough time.
  • Iraq
  • Illegal wiretaps. The difference between using a secret judge and not using a judge at all, even though the judge approves 99.9% anyway, well two differences. One the judge doesn't work for the President and two using a judge is LEGAL.
  • Iraq
  • Blame. I work in the real world. If my product doesn't sell I get blamed and feel the repercussions, it doesn't matter if it is my fault or not. Both 9/11 and the Katrina clean up debacle happened on his watch, fault lies with him.
  • Iraq
  • Settling instead of getting the best. I don't want to go through with what a President has done and look for things that are okay or 'well not that bad', damn it I want the best. Almost six years and you're spending your time going, well maybe that isn't so bad. Unacceptable.
  • Iraq. I believe there are reasons to go to war. I'm a peace loving guy, I really am but I also know there are times when war is necessary. The young men and women in our Armed Forces know that as well. Made up reasoning put there for political gain is not one of them, ever.
There I've done my political rant for the year, actually I will probably have more. I will try and let you get back to the fun, useless blog that I normally post.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Inability to pronounce the word "nuclear". Serously, that is that really a big deal.

I guess it's too much to ask for our highest elected official to be able to speak properly. No, this isn't a huge point, but I also would be wary of a vice-president who can't spell "potato."

Belief in God. I'm not sure where this comes from, 95% of the rest of world's population does, he should be different why?

Believing in God = fine.

Using that belief to drive your policies and influence your judgment on secular issues = not fine.

Not to mention portraying yourself as holier than thou to lure voters to your cause whether or not your policies are any good for them, which I suppose is a valid, though distasteful, political tool.

BubbaJoe said...

You don't want to go down this road with me Trevor. Bush is an idiot. Kerry was more of an idiot. Gore was worse. I am not talking about book knowledge here, I am talking about ability to lead a country where it needs to go. Katrina and 9/11 were in fact tragedies, that Bush could not have controlled. His response was human (shocked) and he did not act as fast as you or I think he should have. Do you honestly think that Kerry would have acted faster?

My point is simple. Bush is not the best president we have ever had, but he is far from the worst. Hell, he isn't even the worst president in my lifetime (I'll give you a hint, I am not talking about a Republican).

But in the end, you have to vote for the person that will lead this country in such a way that will keep you and your family safe. For you that might not make a difference who is in office. For me, a strong military helps me both economically and makes me feel safe at night. In the end Bush delivers that.

TMac said...

I didn't say that Bush caused 9/11 or Katrina and I'm not saying that the other guy would have done any better. I'm saying that when you're the leader and the people under you mess up it is your fault as well. That is how it is in the real world, it should carry over to the President as well. In fact in the past it has carried over to Presidents, this one gets a pass which is odd in a very liberal dominated media. Well he has got a pass in the past, now not so much.

As for a strong military, I also believe that is necessary. Like I said I'm a republican.

TheGirard said...

Beal...buddy. Never did Trevor anywhere mention Kerry.

why did you jump to that conclusion?

Mkae said...

Dear lord I can't believe Jason even mentioned "potato". That pretty much solidified your point right there Trevor.

BubbaJoe said...

Look, in the last election there were two options. If you want to say that Bush was not the right man for the job, that means you would have prefered his opponent. By comparison Kerry made Bush look like a genious.

I don't mind people bashing on Bush, but you have to consider who the other option was and what kind of job they would have done.

Anonymous said...

Why only consider the Democratic opponents? If everyone thinks Bush was a bad choice, how did he make it through the Primaries?

My job has probably benefited from Bush's war-mongering as much as (if not, more than) Mr. Beal's, but that isn't reason enough for me to vote for him. Would you vote for the guy that runs on the "War with China." platform?

- Enrique