Monday, October 16, 2006

Lazy Sunday

Comments from a Sunday filled watching football.

• I really miss having a Tivo to watch football. It did limit me to one game usually but it allowed me to miss most of the commercials.
• Speaking of commercials, there are some awful ones this year. Very few are funny and even those are overplayed like the Peyton/Sprint one.
• I didn’t think the Steelers were ‘gone’ after three losses, I also don’t think they are ‘back’ after just one win.
• It was just one win but 45-7 makes for a fun game.
• I watched the first eight or so of Michael Vick’s pass attempts. Of the ones he missed, four or five I can’t remember, one was thrown out of bounds to avoid a sack, all of the others were dropped. Vick isn’t a great passer but seriously, that sucks.
• Not a great week for picks, too many away teams and upsets won.
• Old Cleveland lost!
• Cincinnati lost!
• An Old Cleveland and Cincinnati loss mixed with a Steelers win means the Steelers are only one back in the loss column. Which of course means jack, Old Cleveland has one more win and Cincy holds the tie-breaker over the Steelers.
• Steelers have two tough road trips in the next three games, @ the Michael Vick Experience and @ Mile High. Not exactly easy games.
• Did you know Terrell Owens plays football for the Dallas Cowboys? Apparently he doesn’t play well with others.
• I’m not a fan of addition by subtraction, especially when it means losing a Pro Bowl QB but man is Phillip Rivers looking pretty good in San Diego.
• I also thought the unnecessary roughness call was for LJ tackling Troy by the hair, which should and is legal.
• I really do not like much about the NBC telecast. I like the pre-game cast, all of them except maybe Peter King, but I dislike the format. I like John Madden to a certain degree but don’t like the on screen graphics and complete lack of any stats during a game. I also can’t stand the Pink intro, I mean seriously Pink?
• It isn’t a west coast/east coast bias but it sure is some sort of bias. In six weeks there have been 14 prime time games with 28 possible teams represented. The Steelers have had four of six of their games on prime time, the Broncos three of six. One of them won the Super Bowl, the other went 13-3 and played in the AFC Championship Game. The NFC gets a lot less love, the NFC Champion Seahawks only in one prime time game. The Raiders, 4-12 last year, and Chargers, 9-7 but no playoffs have each had two. I do understand the top five teams in terms of popularity, ratings, merchandise sales are Dallas, Washington, NY Giants, Philadelphia, and NY Jets but seriously, make an effort.
• Speaking of the Jets, did the 2-3 Jets versus the 1-4 Dolphins really need the #1 announcing crew for CBS?
• GET MORE HD CREWS. It really shows how much better HD is when one of the games you want to watch isn’t in HD.
• Did I mention the Steelers won 45-7!

No comments: