Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Origins Awards

The Origins Awards used to mean a lot in the hobby gaming industry. Hell it used to be THE award you could. I've worked on some Origins Award winning games designed by some Origins Award winning game designers. I've worked with some other game designers that were great as well but that isn't my rant.

My rant is that the Origins Award, along with the Origins Game Fair, has had a huge fall from grace. Some would argue that it was never that graceful but I liked Origins and I was proud of the awards our games won. Now, who cares.

As you can see here the winner for the best TCG in 2006 was a Pirates expansion by WizKids. Now I like the Pirates game and I like the people I know at WizKids. Pirates however is NOT a TCG. This is only the most recent example of how the award has got to the shitter in the past few years.

3 comments:

Chris said...

A Pirates expansion beat out WoW?? LOL...what were the voters smoking? Sorry I didn't get to see you at Origins; are you guys gonna have a booth at Comic-con this year?

Mkae said...

Oh, now you just gone and done it...

Pirates IS a Card Game:

1) It's packed in booster flow the same as any other card game. It takes up the exact same footprint.

2) It's components are on numbered cards that can be traded like any other.

3) Because I said so. :)

Just so you know, the Star Wars PocketModel Game is a trading card game as well. ;)

Mkae said...

And hey, how come I didn't get one frickin' link in this story????

Geez. You took the news hard.