Monday, July 9, 2007

Issues

If you want to talk about issues then maybe we can actually talk about the issues. Using some made up crap and useless propaganda only preaches to the converted and will do nothing to convince the opposition. There is an episode in the West Wing when Josh is trying to get polling data on specific districts about gun control, if the data comes back good then they can push their agenda, if not gun nuts win! Joey Lucas tells him that is a load of BS, if the data is bad then that means you haven't convinced them yet. I want leaders to lead, there are things I believe strongly about same as most people. However a lot of people with most issues would be willing to change their opinion based on someone actually leading and convincing them otherwise. It would really help if you didn't cloud your statement with crap though.

Pollution. If you have a problem with pollution then let's talk about it. If you want to disguise that with global warming fear tactics, I'm going to tune you out. I've seen polluted rivers and streams, I've been to Los Angeles, I've seen thousands of pictures of too much waste. That is enough for me, I'll help you clean up. I know others feel the same way. However when you waste your time talking about man-made global warming I'm just going to have to ignore you.

For every study some institute that says global warming is man made there is another study by an equally accredited group writing a report saying it isn't or that we just don't know. The globe is getting warmer, you can't argue that. But it has been getting warmer since the 1600 or 1700s. Those aren't exactly man induced reasons there if it has been doing it well before there were billions of people and their oil burning machines.

You want to convince us poor hating, xenophobic, gun-loving rednecks that we should treat the environment better? Then spend your time talking about how awful pollution by itself is, which is pretty awful. Talk about how there is only a finite amount of resources, which is true and somewhat problematic.

I would be good to me if you didn't spend time shoving hybrids and millionaires with $3000+ a month power bills down my throat doing it. Hybrids are the biggest crock of shit, they don't help the environment and most of them don't save you any money. Go look up the pollution output for plants that make the batteries in those things, holy cow. Sure you might help on the local level with pollution because you're using less gas but on the global scale you're probably creating more pollution, batteries are incredibly nasty to make. Hybrids outside of an actual hybrid like the Prius don't save you any money.

Let's do a little math. Regular Honda Accord, 30 mpg for $25,000 and the Hybrid Honda Accord is 36 mpg for $32,000. A 28% price increase for only a 17% increase in fuel economy. That is a If I drive 15,000 a year, the new national average, then I save about about 84 gallons of gas with the hybrid. At $4.00 a gallon, which were not at yet but will before a new car loan would wear off, I save myself $336 a year in gas with the hybrid. In about 21 years I will make up the difference in the different sticker prices. Good luck driving a hybrid for 21 years, talk about cars that need a lot of work, which would cost you even more money. What a good deal, man I need to line up and get a no power, lot of work car that in 21 years I can start saving money using.

Next I'll ramble about health care :)

2 comments:

TheGirard said...

HAHA!

yer xenophobic!!!


i don't even know what that means

Brad said...

I have always hated that the "pollution footprint" for hybrids is actually larger than that of normal cars. And it's not just how they manufacture the hybrids - the disposal of those batteries will have a long impact as well.