Friday, March 30, 2007

Hardest part of being a parent

The hardest part, well probably the only hard part, of being a parent is when you can't do something or fix something. Sure it is expensive, sure it is difficult, patience gets pushed, and sacrifices have to be made but that is all nothing. I'd do it in an instant and will keep doing those tough things because of the rewards. Nothing is better.

The tough, hard stuff is when I can't fix it or I can't do something. The Little One has a decent run of bad luck as child. She had to have surgery twice before she by the time she was two. One of the surgeries was very invasive. She was in the hospital for a week at Christmas when two with a case of the rarest, hardest to fight form of meningitis. All of that and she bruises like Pretty Bird, looking at her hard will probably cause a bruise, and has my coordination, which is to say none.

My gift of coordination recently bite her pretty hard. Last week while was at the worst show ever she fell at school and did some pretty good damage. Pain-wise it was just some bumps, scrapes, and bruises but long term wise she took a good chunk out of her two front teeth. She has a few adult teeth in and those were two of them.

Today she got them bonded to take away the gap. Last week with the consultation was pretty traumatic for her so we were worried about today. She passed it with flying colors. She'll probably knock the bonding off more than a few times over the next 8 to 10 years or so the dentist says. So I'm sure we'll have to go through this again.

But like I said, other than that she did wonderful. She was even a little funny to deal with afterwards since she was on valium. It will be hard but I'll have to not remind her that her teeth cost me $300 a pop to fix, it isn't her fault. I couldn't stand it when you here parents bitching to their kids about braces costing a fortune, it isn't their fault. Besides how much did those leather seats or new kitchen cost? People are just weird with money and I don't want her to think it is her fault because it really isn't. I'm glad it is over and she is good to go, at least for now.

1 comment:

Jason said...

After I had a particularly bad dentist visit as a child, my mom tried to bribe me. From then on, if I took good care of myself and didn't have any cavities, I'd get a brand-new game or toy. I thought it was a great deal, and I'm sure she did too, now that I see what dentist bills actually cost.