Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Green vs. Blue

I had a buddy IM me last night asking why Luke had a different colored lightsaber in Return of the Jedi compared to the other two movies. He was a fan of the movies and was watching Jedi on HBO. He hadn't seen them in a while and just forgot. For the longest time most of my peers were as big (if not bigger, yes I'm talking to you Troy) a Star Wars fan as I was. Recently, I guess getting older and the rather blahness of the prequels means I run into fewer and fewer Star Wars fans, at least to my level. The best part of the conversation was me explaining the history of both lightsabers, Luke built one and then Obi Wan gave him the other.

Obi Wan tells Luke that he has something his father wanted him to have when he was older, a lightsaber. What Obi Wan really meant was this.

After I cut off your father's arm and both his legs, left him to burn to death near a river of lava, even watched him catch fire, I stole his lightsaber. I figured it would be good to pawn on eBay but we don't get the internet in my hut and, well, here you can have it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still can't understand why he even had to question a new lightsaber. I remember being a kid and fully understanding that Luke's hand was cut off (with lightsaber in tow) in ESB. It would seem obvious to me that a second lightsaber was needed.

A better question (and one that you masterfully answered BTW) was "how" he got a new lightsaber. It's not like there were any Jedi shops in the galaxy those days.

It just seems obvious to me...

- Enrique

TheGirard said...

we know that he got his hand cutoff and he lost his old saber, the question is, why is the new one a different color?

Anonymous said...

My heart lept when I read this and saw it was about Star Wars and I am mentioned in it. It made me feel all warm and bubbly, maybe even a little tingly.

As far as why it was a different color, I don't think there is an answer as to "why" it is green. In Shadows of the Empire, Luke made his lightsaber using instructions in Ben's hut. Instead of using natural crystals, he created the focusing gems in a compact molecular furnace, also found in Ben's hut (I think you can see the furnace in the background when they're inside). While the intense heat of the kiln molded the base materials that Luke had placed inside, he channeled his Force energies through them, which in turn shaped and modified their internal properties. I'm guessing that either Ben had some of the "green" crystals laying around, or maybe Luke over-cooked or jacked up Ben's spare "Blue" crystals.

Another explination is that the film used more green screen than blue screen, and......I'm not sure where I was going with this.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to bet, in hindsight Vader wished he'd had that blue fill suit with water button before he fought that second to last with Obi-Wan battle.

Hell, he may have hit that button as a precaution during his final battle with Obi-Wan. Being on fire without your most of your limb sucks way more than it does simply being on fire.

Mkae said...

Why don't I get ridiculously senseless IM's like that.

Sigh. I miss those days.