Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Telemarketing Gone Wild

I'm not really sure what is worse.

1 - Have a telemarketer call your house during the day. Have your wife answer the phone and ask "Is Trevor there". My wife says no, then wants to know what the person wants. The young woman on the phone then explains that she is with "Girls Gone Wild" and wants to know if I would like a free copy of their latest video.

Or

2 - My wife tells the person on the phone that no I would not like a copy of of their latest video.

We've never bought anything from the GGW people, not that I haven't seen a video or two. We also, at least I thought, were on the no-call list for telemarketers. We've only given our home phone number out to my job, her job, the little one's school, and DirectTV. We only have a home phone because of DirectTV. I've worked as a project manager for a telemarket company before, I even started for a day or two on the phones so I know that the 'no-call' list isn't paid much attention to. If a client has your number you're going to get called, at least until the specific telemarket firm gets a "please do not call here again" response. Our phone is also listed in the phone book, so I'm sure it isn't that hard to get our number. It just is very odd, makes for a good story though.

One thing, I work in marketing and have for over four years now. One of the most important things is to know your potential consumer. Calling someone during the day is probably not the best directed marketing. It is 2006, I know women work, keep your feminist opinions to yourself. However the odds of getting a 29 year old male at home at 2pm is much lower than getting that same 29 year old male at home at 7pm. The odds are also much higher to get a wife and I would think that for the Girls Gone Wild people that would not be very good.

Of course now I've said Girls Gone Wild at least three or four times, I wonder how the Ad Sense will take that.

3 comments:

Jason said...

If you get titties on your blog, I'll visit every day. Twice.

TheGirard said...

They didn't call my house. :(

TMac said...

I'll let them know you're interested Girard :)