Friday, March 7, 2008

Spin at its best

As I'm bored as hell waiting for my truck to get here so I can get done and fly home I'll rant about politics again. Watching The West Wing has really put me in tune with seeing political spin, more than before. Maybe I catch it easier because I'm older and more of a cynic, who knows. Anyway the Clinton spin machine is about as good as they come.

They keep spinning her as gaining momentum when Obama was 15 points down in Texas and 20 points down in Ohio two weeks before the primary and he lost much closer than that. Actually he won Texas but we'll get to that later. The news outlets all buy all of the momentum changing stories, that is all you read and hear.

My count (which could be wrong) has Obama winning 21 contests and Clinton winning 14. Five of the contests Clinton has won didn't gain Clinton anymore delegates than Obama. In Michigan and Florida she earns zero delegates but that could change. In New Hampshire, her big "I'm still here" win early in the race they both got 9 delegates. In Nevada Obama actually got one more delegate than she did. Recently in Texas it looks like Obama is going to get two more delegates than Clinton will. I won't blame the Texas one on her too much because its weird, they get to vote twice.

Over a million more people have voted for Obama than Clinton. She needs to win 70% of the remaining votes to get enough delegates to pass Obama. She didn't win 70/30 in New York or Arkansas, her two home states.

All of that and she isn't dropping out and the media keeping following her along. She can't win without a floor fight and they're still going along. Granted they are going along because of ratings but still she can't win.

If the tables were turned I firmly believe the establishment would be calling for Obama to step down so Clinton can prepare to take on McCain. Enough ranting for now.

No comments: