Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rib eye

I used to love ordering rib eyes when I was actually ordering a steak. Well when I could afford it anyway. I'm a huge fan of a good steak but they aren't always the cheapest dinner out. Plus over the last 5+ years we try to eat a lot less red meat than before. Anyway back to the rib eye, for whatever reason it hit the sweet spot with me. My grandfather would be upset that a filet isn't my favorite but a rib eye just was. It was the right mixture of tenderness, flavor, and most importantly price. I used to like ordering them out.

When we moved into our house last year we got a nice grill and cook out on it. We've cooked everything, fish, veggies, corn (which I think is a vegetable), pork chops, burgers, chicken, and of course steak. My favorite to cook is again the rib eye. A local place runs a great sale every now and then on them and we get them and have a nice Sunday dinner.

It seems the side effect to that is that I enjoy my rib eye much better than a restaurants. In traveling the past five weeks I don't pay for food so I try to eat a steak once a week, to treat myself for being stuck in Connecticut. Well I've had three rib eyes in five weeks from three different places and none of them are close to the quality that we have. I just assume if I'm paying 3 to 4x the price I should get a quality steak. I guess I'm mistaken. Tonight's was a good one but still not quite as good as mine. Too bad I guess.

No comments: