Sunday, November 25, 2007

Xbox 360

Yes my Xbox had the 'red ring of death'. No it hasn't made me feel bad about buying a 360 over a PS3. I had a first generation 360 which has a failure rate of about 40%. The newer generation ones have a much lower rate, still appalling at about 15%. Microsoft should be ashamed that their product has a failure rate so high, it is pathetic. However they offer a 3 year warranty so mine will be fixed and I'll be good to go. Still pathetic but at least I won't be out any money.

I worked at Toys R Us when the Saturn and the first Playstation came out. A huge amount of both systems were just duds, they didn't fail they just never worked. Ever after that the PS too many parts made out of plastic and not enough cooling so the failure rate was very high. Sony did change things so latter generation systems didn't fail so bad. However they did nothing to help their current customers after the 90 warranty was used up.

I'm not defending or slamming MS or Sony. We'll probably get a PS3 as soon as there is a game or two I have to own. I'm just used to video game systems failing. You use them so much more than a DVD player and companies use cheap parts in them to cut costs. A mid-level DVD player is made much better than a video game system. They are just bound to fail. MS does need to figure out why the 360 is so much higher than it should be though.

And they need to hurry up, I really want to pick up Mass Effect.

No comments: