Monday, November 5, 2007

Friendly Poker

We finally got enough people for a try at a regular poker game this past week. We were supposed to have eight players but we ended up with only six, still enough for a decent game or two. With most people either on the "too many bills" or "not good enough at poker" our format is a sit-n-go tournament style with a $10 buy in. Second place gets their money back and winner gets the rest. We usually have enough time to finish two or even three games, this week we were able to play three. A bad night and you only end up down $30, not bad. Of course it means people can tend to play like idiots.

Our first regular game in almost a year and I am down $30. I'd like to say it was due to bad luck and partially it was but it was also due to me thinking I'm better than the others at the table. Well I still think I'm better than the others at the table but I shouldn't have got cocky. I should have played the game like I was at a crazy tourist filled game in Vegas and only played the cards.

Session One. I finished third. I was able to knock out two of the five other players. Once with top two pair, he was very short stacked. The other one I had the K high nut straight and he had the bottom end. I lost most of my chips to the other Steelers fan in the office. Great guy, not a great poker player. He is the play one face card or any two matching suit players. Normally I should beat that player but Friday he was lucky heads up against me. There are only three players left and I have 33, the flop is K37, one heart. I bet, he raises me 3x the pot and I put him all-in. I figure he has a K or maybe even two pair. He calls with A9 of hearts and everyone knows the story is two more hearts. I end up going out with KQs vs. AT. Flop is two spades but I didn't get the third.

Session Two. I remember being in pretty good position. I also figure I've figured all the players out save one, I still am not sure about Chaz. I have KQc. Flop is two clubs, giving me three clubs and also three to the straight. The flop is checked around, there was decent betting preflop. The turn gives me four to the flush and four to the straight. I'm one off the button, all of them check and so do I, button bets about 1/2 the pot. All fold to me and I go all-in. It was a horrible idea however I was trying to play the player. He was very afraid of flushes and talked about it a few times. He also said he doesn't bet the best hand it usually costs him money. I figure he doesn't have anything and is just trying to steal the pot. I constantly complain about people who risk too much and overbet which is what I did on my check-raise. Well I read him correctly, he had A7 for a pair of 7s which end up holding up. No idea why he made the call with that but I shouldn't have bet all-in either.

Session Three. Third hand I get AA and I'm the BB. I'm trying to decide how much I can raise and still get a caller. The small blind doubles the blind and I double that. The only caller, Steelers fan who plays any two goes all-in. I call even before button can act, sorry about that JDub, I'm usually not bad. My AA vs. 88 and he hits an 8. I actually hold on okay but go out on AT suited.

Other than thinking I'm better than them I had a weird night of cards. I had AA, KK, and 4x 33 for my only pairs. KK I didn't win much because it was two to the flush on the flop and I wanted to end it there. I was 50% with 33. But I got plenty of playable hands, only 1 AK but plenty of AQ, AJ, AT, KQ but they rarely if at all hit. With friendly poker they usually call everything and this was no different. I couldn't steal any blinds with my two over cards and they just didn't hit. Still if I play just a little better I think win session 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I'm jealous.

Jason said...

I thought I took you and Chaz out in game 3, with that crazy all-in, side pot QQ bet when you were short-stacked.