Monday, April 2, 2007

On Time

I am not what would define as a punctual person. Early in my working career I realized this and have made a serious effort to be on time. The easiest way for me to do is to convince myself that I needed to be at work 10-15 minutes before I was supposed to or that it would take 10 or 15 minutes longer. This seems to work. For the most part I'm 5-10 minutes early just about everyday, some days even the full 15 minutes. Even with that though about once a week or so I'm about 3-5 minutes late and once or twice a month I'm as much as 10-20 minutes late.

I don't care how someone works as long as they put in their normal-ish hours and gets their work done. I don't work in the service industry anymore, I'm not worried about coverage or dinner rushes or when the store opens. One thing that does piss me off though are the people who try and 'pull one over' on everyone. I had one at this job, I had one at my last job.

The current job we had a guy who was 5-10 minutes late every single day. At least 3 times a week he took a 90 minute or so lunch. Once it hit quitting time though he was gone. At 1 minute after closing time he was gone, everyday. That just rubs me wrong, it feels like he is consciously trying to cheat the system.

Another guy I worked with at my last job was every worse. We had a flex schedule, you could pick working 8:30-5:30, 9-6, or 9:30-6:30. This guys entire department was 9-6 and he figured a good way to cheat. He picked 8:30-5:30 but here is the trick. He showed up about 8:55 or so, everyday. He would jet at soon as 5:30 hit though, gone. There was a sting operation launched against him. What a jerk.

I don't care how you work but I just hate it when someone tries to pull one over, to cheat. It just drives me nuts.

2 comments:

Mkae said...

We get that too. Was the "last job" The Company? I don't remember a "sting operation" on tardiness. Just theft.

TMac said...

It was, he was caught and actually started behaving, at least for a little bit.