Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Gmail > Work

I usually don't vent about work on my blog but I'm going to anyways. I really like my job and the ride I've been on in this industry for the past three plus years. I'm not going to bitch about that. What I am going to bitch about is our IT Support guy, he is horrible. I know most of you who know anything about my last job would wonder how it is possible that I would ever complain about any companies IT performance. Overall our IT department is great, they're all out of another office though. The other IT person in our office is the Support person and this guy is just not good at all.

About every month our email goes down in this office for two to five hours. The reason our email goes down is because the local server fills up. I would go into why that shuts down email completely but that is just too much information. Lets just say that when it is full we can't send or receive email. I would think a halfway decent guy would know to check up on our email server space, this happens about once a month.

His solution instead of doing his job better is to limit the space we can have on our email accounts. I'm all for this, some people don't know any better than to send multiple huge files over and over again over email. We have FTP capabilities and a robust server set up to drop and transfer files, no need to clog everything with huge files. In fact the company has a 100 meg 'limit' on our email accounts. I say 'limit' because all you get is a message when you get close to that telling you to archive files/messages. Well our brilliant IT guys solution is a 10 meg limit on accounts. WTF, I get 4 gigs free from Google with their Gmail service. He wants it this low so it is easier to keep track of the people who don't listen.

I could go on for days about how bad this guy is in other ways but this is enough venting about work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the IT curse is following you around.

Perhaps Pieper could work for you. (=

- Enrique