Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Patience is a Virtue

We drove down to Atlanta and back this weekend. We also drove from one side of the city to another twice, overall a good bit of driving. I counted 17 vans, SUVs, or other large family type automobiles with DVD/Monitors playing in them. That doesn't count the ones that weren't actually using them. That is just insane.

We're pretty tech savvy, I love buying the newest, coolest gadget, as long as it is close to my budget. Outside of an HDTV or XBox 360 we own just about all of the cool goodies. We have two iPods, a Nintendo DS, a PSP, a PS2, a Gamecube, 3 functioning computers, a TiVo, five DVD players (if you count the computers), and a functioning secure wireless network. Heck we have a Mac and Windows PC in the same house. We plan on getting an HDTV and a Sling Box before too long. Our six year old knows how to use the computer, both of them by herself, she can turn on the TV, work the DS all alone, and with a little help work the Nintendo or PS2. She also enjoys reading, coloring, playing board games, and playing with friends.

Even with all of that though, my wife and I read a lot, we own 30+ board games, and have spent many a night without the TV even on. In the past three years we've driven from Norfolk to Atlanta or Charlotte to Atlanta with the three to six year old at least 10 times.

I refuse to be some bitter old man remembering how it was during my time, I like the time we live in, I love my iPod and this PSP thing is great. To think when I get a Sling Box I can steam a Braves game or BSG to my laptop anywhere in the world when I'm on the road, incredible. I can't imagine what my daughter will be able to do when she is about to turn 30, I'm sure it will make her and my head spin.

Technology is great but does your child really need to be entertained by Sponge Bob on the way to the grocery store? I can barely stand most 14-18 year olds now and they've only had in your face technology for 6+ years of their life. What is your 6 year old going to be like when they're 22 and can't sit still waiting for a job interview. Let them color or heck even look out the window for the 10 minute drive to the store.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to visit your house someday. (=

- Enrique

TheGirard said...

dude...spongebob is the nutz

Anonymous said...

I guess that means that Grammy won't be buying her granddaughter one anytime soon!!!!?!!!

TMac said...

He is da nutz, he lives in a pineapple under the sea :)

TMac said...

Grammy can buy her whatever she wants. :)