Monday, December 8, 2008

355

Thanks for the memories Greg Maddux. There was a four year stretch were this guy was literally the best pitcher I've ever seen. I can remember a few innings where Braves pitchers have given up 4 home runs in that inning. I can also remember when Greg Maddux went an entire year, in 202 innings!

I'm not a huge fan of wins as a measure of a good pitcher but 355 is sure a hell of a lot of wins. Maddux also had a year when he won 19 games in 33 starts with 232 innings with whopping 20 walks. Yeah 19 wins with 20 walks is silly. How about a year with a 1.56 ERA followed up with a 1.63 ERA.

I could on for days about Maddux and his numbers. He was also a pretty good fielder I heard. For a pitcher he was pretty good with the bat because remember chicks did the long ball. He even stole 11 bases.

Greg Maddux is the very definition of a Hall of Famer. Thanks for the memories and the many short games when I had to work in the morning. How great it is that every fifth day I got to watch a Hall of Famer. Oh wait, three out of five days I got to watch one (well when Smoltz wasn't on the DL) but that's a story for a different blog.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Greg Maddux facts.

No, he never beat up Chuck Norris.

Anonymous said...

When he gets into the HOF, he goes in as a Brave, right?

He always was my favorite pitcher and was saddened a litte when I heard he is retiring.

TMac said...

It's mostly up to him. The HOF makes the final decision on which hat he'll wear but they almost always honor the wishes of the player.

From what I've read he wants to choose the Braves because that's where his World Series ring is from.

Brad said...

Si did a pitch placemen of a WS game he pitched and it was freaking amazing. I was never a Braves fan but one could not root for this guy.