Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A long time ago...

It seems like it has been forever since I've blogged, which it has, over a month. Well being the convention manager (in addition to being the tournament admin with Worlds coming up, retail relations guy, plus overall marketing guy, not to mention the other stuff I won't mention) has just kicked my ass. Let me just say Gen Con went really well, more players than I thought, I was under budget (four out of four shows under budget), and I get to see some old friends. In addition to my current crop of players I saw about 30+ old Rings players plus ex-D people Will, Kim, Andy, Kyle, Evan, Mark, Dawn, plus honorary D people Scott Martins and Jim Colson. I missed Tom, Joe, and Juz but they were only there for a day. Now Gen Con Indy is over and it is time to settle down some. Maybe I will only have 9-10 hours of work in one 8 hour day.

Now that I'm slowed down some I will hopefully blog a little more often. Although with my new toy I'm not so sure. Meet our new friend.

I know, I know, not the best picture in the world, sue me. It is obviously the opening scene in Star Wars on our brand new 50inch Toshiba DLP HDTV. Star Wars was literally the first thing we put on the TV, I mean seriously, how else do you break in a brand new TV? Right now the only HD signal item we have is the XBOX 360 and it looks great. NCAA 2007 on 720p is insane. The DVD player sends signals at 480p which is a huge step from 480i that regular TV broadcasts. The HD box is set up on Monday so next week I will be watching HDTV baby! It will be a little bit of time before I get an HD or BluRay DVD player however, I will let them fight it out. One last image to show off before I leave.

6 comments:

TheGirard said...

Top Gun would also have been a good choice, but only if you have surround sound.

Anonymous said...

"Luke, join me or you'll star in Corvette Summer."

Mkae said...

The original Star Wars is not the best choice for HD. If you really want to see cool, put Episode III in there as it was shot in digital. On my TV (with a XBox 360 attached) it says that the DVD signal is 1080i but there's huge debates on whether or not this is upconverted. Technically, it's not, but it still looks AMAZING.

TMac said...

DVDs are only 480p so yes it would be upconverted.

As to why Star Wars is the best choice. It really has nothing to do with quality of the image, it has to do with quality of the content. Star Wars is the best choice to break in a new TV, no matter the size, period.

I would think better of you Mark to have to specify original Star Wars. As Randal said there is only one Return and it is of the Jedi. Same applies to Star Wars, there is only one.

Jason said...

Also, for those of you who wish to get in contact with me, you can now send all mail to:

Jason Winter
c/o Trevor McGregor's house
Charlotte, NC

Unknown said...

Oh, what's this shiz???

Bro's before boxes, man...bro's before boxes!!! To think the J-Dub posse was replaced by a tv box...that's just sad, yo!

(Read as "I'd live in your TV room if I could. Can we watch Serenity on it?")

(What the heck...the word verification is 9 letters? When did security verification for blogs go super-leet 128 bit retinal scan tough?)