Friday, March 27, 2009

Things I Learned From Mom

I despise public speaking. I'm told I'm pretty good at it but man do I hate it. Mom was sick for a bit of time so I had to come to terms with a few things. One of those was speaking at her funeral. I decided against it both times during my grandparents funeral but this was different. First and foremost I think she would have wanted me to speak. Plus I'm the oldest, I felt it was required of me.

Since I had a bit of time and I knew two months ago that it would be before summer I batted a few things around in my head. I didn't want to write anything down before it happened. I did know I needed to write it down or I wouldn't be able to get everything out.

Of course mom died and then I didn't want to write anything down. Put I pushed back the tears, came up with a topic, and forced myself to write down thoughts on my mom that I think the world should know.

So here is basically what I said.

Things I Learned From My Mom
-Trevor McGregor

I learned that Coke is better then Pepsi, that dogs are better then cats, and you usually should stay on a 16.

Mom taught me that you should be honest with yourself because if you aren't honest with yourself then the rest doesn't matter.

I learned that red cars go faster, that beaches are better the pools, and a sunset is prettier then a sunrise.

Throughout the years she taught me how that nothing in the universe is stronger than a parent's love for their child.

I learned that cancer does suck, I guess she taught that to everyone.

Mom taught me that giving presents is better then getting them, that Star Wars is cool, and that things are usually better with rum then without.

Mom taught me that Eric Clapton can sure play the guitar, that the Rolling Stones can sure put on a show, and that All You Need Is Love.

I learned how to be a sibling because Mom loved Mikie and Mary Jane so much, she taught me how to be a spouse with the love she showed Paul, and I learned how to be a parent because anyone who's ever spent time with Mom knew how much she loved Michael, David, and I.

I learned that sports are better when you can root for people like Terry Bradshaw, Rocky Blieir, John Smoltz, or even Brian McCann.

She taught me that religion is about how you deal with God not how someone else deals with God.

Mom taught me that life isn't fair, it can be mean to everyone.

Grammy taught me that while Mom can say no Grammy's sure can't.

What has helped me most of all these past few days is that mom taught me that everyone dies.

She said not to be sorry for someone dying because it happens to everyone. She said instead of spending time feeling sorry for them you should remember how great they were in life.

I will try not to feel sorry for you Mom, your journey with us is over and you want all of us to focus on the journey that is still ahead of us. I want to thank you for being my Mom and Emily's Grammy.

So while I won't feel sorry for you I sure will miss you, Goodbye Mom.

2 comments:

Troy said...

That was beautiful. Well done.

pretty_bird said...

And very well spoken at the time. <3