Monday, June 9, 2008

Fixed League

I'm a sports fan. I'm also a gamer. To put it simpler I enjoy contests. More appropriately I enjoy fair contests. I understand the concept of 'veteran' or 'star' calls or whatever you want to call it. When Tony Gwynn didn't swing on a close pitch it must have a ball. I watched Maddux and Glavine make one inch off the plate become 1.5 then 2 then 2.5 as the game went on. I'm not a fan of it but normally it isn't a huge deal and it doesn't usually demolish the integrity of a specific contest.

However the NBA takes it to a completely different level. I enjoy watching college basketball and I used to enjoy watching the NBA. Like I said I like sports and basketball can be a lot of fun to watch. The NBA though just makes it hard. They mess with the integrity of the game and don't even pretend they don't. One of the best tongue and cheek stories is the first NBA lottery where the Knicks won. The NBA takes the 'star' or 'veteran' call to a completely different level. Sometimes they go so far past the line of integrity that the line becomes a dot. :)

I'm not a Lakers fan, I can't stand Kobe Byrant so its fun to root against him. Last night's game was just a little silly. It is impossible for me to believe the Celtics had almost 20 shooting fouls against them and the Lakers only had five. A four to one ratio, now you're just making this shit up. In the NBA a foul leads directly to points. In the NFL or MLB a bad call doesn't usually lead directly to points. The NBA gave the Celtics almost four times as many free point chances as the Lakers.

That's just cheaty right there.

No comments: