Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Still not the Seahawks

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Playoff flag that wasn't thrown

Mike Pereira, the NFL's head of officiating, admitted yesterday that his crew working the Steelers-Jaguars playoff game erred in not calling a holding penalty against Jacksonville on a crucial play that allowed the Jaguars to kick the winning field goal.

Quarterback David Garrard scrambled on fourth-and-2 from the Steelers 43 and made the first down. Three plays later, Josh Scobee kicked a field goal, giving the Jaguars a 31-29 victory. Several Steelers players complained there was blatant holding on Garrard's run. Nearly three months later, Pereira agreed with them.


The NFL never admitted a mistake during Super Bowl XL and I still hear Seahawks fans bitching about it. Hell I had a flight attendant give me a hard time recently, like somehow the Steelers and Seahawks are rivals. The NFL admitted a mistake and it cost the Steelers a playoff game. Well the three INTs by Ben probably cost them more but it is easier to blame outside forces. But the Steelers have a little class, their coach declined to comment. He didn't go to a pep rally and say "I didn't know we'd have to play the refs as well". Normally coaches get fined for stuff like that but I guess hall of fame caliber coaches don't.

I'm sure the internet full of Steelers fans are bitching, hell I'm bitching a little, but the Steelers organization has a little more class than some teams. That and I'm sure two years later we're still not going to be complaining about it.

No comments: