Monday, June 18, 2007

Faster than the truth

I've long had a belief that once Fox started showing baseball games they also started jacking up the pitch speeds. Faster pitch speeds apparently makes for better ratings. I also believe that a few years after that ESPN followed suit and starting jacking up their pitch speeds. Being a Braves fan I am fortunate enough to watch a bunch of games on TBS, Turner South, Sports South, and various other local-ish channels. None of those pump up the radar guns like Fox or ESPN, Smoltz would pitch on TBS and clock in around 93 or 94 mph, on Fox or ESPN he'd be 97 mph. They were different games and I never had the truth.

Today I checked out the difference though. The Braves/Red Sox game is on ESPN and I had the MLB.com feed. Tyler Yates was pitching and ESPN had his speed at 97mph on every fastball, then I looked up the MLB.com feed, 93 and 94mph. Hmm, I wonder which one was correct.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who cares?

We beat Schilling!

Jason said...

The differences can also come from where the pitch speed is measured.

Pitch leaving pitchers hand > pitch crossing the plate.

TMac said...

The differences come from the fact Fox and ESPN just make it up :)