Monday, December 11, 2006

IT Hell

I think I’m just destined to work at companies that aren’t exactly the best in terms of IT. The service industry jobs I’ve worked were not state of the art at all and most people who read this blog know the greatness that was D’s IT quality. RC2 actually had pretty good IT people we just did our best down here in Charlotte to work around them, against them, or ignore them. Now that we’re not part of RC2 it really shows how good our in-house IT people are. To get a great view on how things really are, myself and one of our TCG designers are now helping with the migration and support issues.

I bring this up not to pick on my newly formed company but to give a funny quote. The quote needs background or it isn’t funny. One of the things I’m helping with is migrating email from the old soon to go away server to the new hotness server. There were some things, not overly complicated, but complicated enough that everyone had to do to insure you wouldn’t lose any email. The designer person and I helped some people with the tasks. One day before I left I checked in with the head of the office to see if he had completed it or needed help.

Trevor - “Did you move your email over?”
Boss – “No.”
Trevor – “Do you need help?”
Boss – “No.”
Trevor – “Well, okay. You know it needs to be done by tomorrow right? I can help if you want.”
Boss –“I told him [the IT person] I wanted him to come do it. He told me to follow the instructions that were given out and it would work. I didn’t understand them nor do I have time to figure them out. He told me my email would go away if I didn’t do them and he said I should follow the instructions”
Trevor – “Again, I can help.”
Boss – “Nope that’s okay. I told him to do it. I dare him to delete my fucking email.”
Trevor – “Okay, sounds good.”
Boss – “Have a good evening, see you tomorrow.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to know what happened to your boss's e-mail. Please tell me he lost it all!!!

- Enrique