Monday, October 6, 2008

Damn Good Public Speaker



I'm still amazed it's been since 1996 since we've had a candidate who could speak in public well. Personally I think that should be part of the job description to be in public office but I guess that's just me. I mean you're elected as councilman, mayor, senator, or president because the public trusts your judgment. This is a republic not a democracy, the public doesn't vote directly on the issues, we elect people to do make those decisions for us. If you can't speak well in public how the hell are you supposed to convince the people that you've made the correct decision. How are you supposed to convince them that sending their children into harms way or raising their taxes to help poor children get insurance is a good idea when you can't properly form a sentence. Bob Dole, Al Gore, John Kerry, and of course George Bush are all god awful public speakers. At least McCain isn't half bad. This Obama guy though is pretty damn good.

This is also my favorite type of ad, it doesn't focus on how bad the other guy is but who your guy is for. Sure it only mentions the actual issues for one line in the ad but it doesn't mention how awful McCain is ever. A big rule in advertising is to not focus on your competitors too much, you'd think the same went for national politics. I guess I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most importantly he never on mentioned the opponent. I liked that.