Sunday, May 4, 2008

800

The tragic accident and immediate euthanization (not sure if that is a real word or not) of the second place finisher of yesterday's Kentucky Derby has brought the usual round the clock information from the sports news sphere. One of the facts that caught my attention was the amount of horses that are killed each year in American horse racing. Over 800 horse are euthanized, it sounds so much better than killed, as a result of injuries from horse racing. That number just seems astounding. Over two horses are killed each day on average in the US due to horse racing.

I'm not what one would call an animal rights lover. I like to eat meat and if animal testing will cure cancer then I'm all for it. I'm not even trying to call for an end of horse racing. I just think that if people knew that two horses were killed each day there'd be a little bit of outrage. I guess it comes from the fact that horse racing is a hugely bet on sport and makes a ton of people a ton of money.

It seems more than a little sadistic.

1 comment:

Jason said...

It's probably because 95% of America doesn't give a hoot about horse racing, whereas 95% of America does eat meat. Gotta go with the issues people care about.