Thursday, May 4, 2006

Well I'm not going to buy this one, I swear

I don't mind admitting I really like Star Wars. I don't even mind admitting I like parts of the horrible movies that have been released over the last 7 years that pretended to be Star Wars movies. Hell I don't even mind buying newly redone versions of Star Wars stuff I already own, at least from time to time. I do what I do both directly and indirectly because of Star Wars. I'm a geek into science fiction, gaming, comics, etc, and Star Wars started me on that path. I also broke into the gaming industry with a company that produced a Star Wars game. I didn't start there during the Star Wars run but I did buy into their products and gaming ways because of Star Wars. Right now one of my favorite ways to waste time is Star Wars Empire At War, that game is great.

I'm not going to buy this however, I'm just not. Two years ago was the first time the original Star Wars movies came to DVD. This newer set will mark the third time the movies have been released on DVD. I'm a marketing manager for a pretty large company, I also worked at Decipher for two years, I'm well aware of shaking a money tree as hard as you can while it still giving money. With either HD-DVD or Blue Ray, whichever one survives, this gives LucasFilm at least four or five upcoming releases with little to know work on their part. I'm okay with a company doing that, in fact I would probably buy two or so of those four or five redone versions. They will have features I want for a new format, whatever. I just think three DVD versions in less than 36 months is too much, even if these are the versions I want to own the most. In the life of VHS I'm pretty sure Star Wars was released five different times, six if you count the THX pan and scan and widescreen as seperate releases (they were about four months apart). That is in what, 15 years of VHS. Obviously DVDs won't last as the dominate format for 15+ years, sorry Evan and Kevin, but 3 in less than 36 months that is just too much.

6 comments:

Jason said...

When Lucas first said that he would "never" release the original original trilogy, someone commented that he'd just tell us that so he could sell the special editions and then, a couple years later, sell us the real originals.

It was true then, and it's true now. Me, I'm saving my money for the complete collection (episodes I-VI). Which you know is coming next.

TMac said...

Why would it possibly come next when you can get more per film this way.

Anonymous said...

1. Sorry about missing you in AZ. Sunday was a hectic morning and I didn't think a 7:00 wake up call was on your agenda. Glad to hear yuo had a good time in Tucson, regardless.

2. I knew that the Original 3 would make there way to DVD-land eventually. Holding out was well worth it. I'll be one of the few that will purchase this new version of the same thing we already own. But I applaud you for your conviction and feel you're right.

- Enrique

TheGirard said...

Han Shot First!!!

TheGirard said...

May the Fourth be with you

Mkae said...

I hate being lied to. And that's what this is. Of course, we're smarter than he gives us credit for.