Friday, December 9, 2005

Superstition


Sports fans are typically very superstitious. When asked I say that I’m not superstitious because I used to think I’m not. My wife believes that I am and upon further review, I guess that it is true. She points towards my hats. I get a new baseball hat every year except the year the Braves won the World Series. Obviously that hat is the reason they won the Series, the hat just ran out of magic in Game 3 of the ’96 Series.

For football it is a little different. With only 16 games I can actually keep track of a hats win/loss record. I try to get a new hat after about 6 losses or so. Being a Steelers fan that means I get a new hat about every year, if I was a Browns fan I would have to get at least two a year. My current hat was a gift after Week 3 last year from my parents. The Steelers had just beat the Dolphins, Roethlisberger’s first start. On a side note that is the third time I’ve put Ben’s name in my blog and I’ve spelled it correct every time. Tells you the power of the NFL, I’m the worst speller in the world yet I can spell Roethlisberger. Well my hat has gone 21-6 since then. There was little reason to get a new one after a 14-1 finish last year.

This year the Steelers have played well, they just can’t run the ball and are losing too many games. Maybe a new hat will help them out. I picked one up at Heinz Field, maybe that added magic will create another 21-6 type run.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Just as long as the superstition holds out for another two weeks....